Thursday, April 26, 2007

Shocked and Appalled


Once again, we find ourselves seeing the pictures of Schill's bloody sock from the 2004 ALCS plastered all over the news. Don't get me wrong, I could talk about that series day and night for the rest of my life and not get tired of it. But this time, the media has gone too far. Last night during the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network's telecast of Red Sox-Orioles, play-by-play man Gary Thorne proceeded to tell a story that none other than Doug Mirabelli told Thorne 'years ago' that the red stain on Schill's sock was, in fact, not blood. Whoa!....relaaaaax buddy. Being the President of the Doug Mirabelli fan club, I obvioulsy took the news rather hard. Until the end of the game, the vibe around the Mirabelli fan club headquarters was glum as we searched for answers. All uneasiness was put to rest after the game when the word coming out of the Mirabelli camp went something like this ""What? Are you kidding me? He's [expletive] lying. A straight lie," Mirabelli said, according to The Boston Globe. "I never said that. I know it was blood. Everybody knows it was blood."

Phew! I knew Dougie wouldn't let me (and The Nation) down. Let it be known, far and wide, that as of today the Mirabelli fan club has put a bounty on Thorne's head. Trying to slander the name of arguably the best back up catcher in baseball is NOT something we take lightly. If I were Mirabelli, I'd hunt down Thorne and stick an old cum sock down his throat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dougie would never say that. end of story.