Monday, August 27, 2007

Baseball & Beers


Over the weekend, I received an email indicating that a bar named "Norm's Eatery and Ale House" promotes "Cheap Sex Monday's". Who cares, right? Why the hell am I blogging about this?

Well, the aforementioned bar is stationed in Seattle -- and the "Sex" part is a prefix for (Richie) Sexson. Apparently...on Monday's, this bar sells bottles of beer for Richie Sexson's batting average.

My first thought?

Seattle fans are raking in the DUI's these days. I mean, Sexson can't hit. His .211 batting average makes him a Wily Mo Pena clone.

$2.11 beers + baseball games + playoff race = A lot of drunk patrons on Monday nights

Until tonight, I forgot about said email. But then...I watched the putrid pitcher that has become Mike Mussina. As I've said before, I hate Mike Mussina. He's a bad pitcher (can't hit spots) that b*tches and moans about EVERYTHING. Recently, especially in Boston, there has been a lot of clamoring about the "rapid downward spiral" of Mussina. I'm confused???

Mike Mussina hasn't been a good pitcher since 2003!! 4.59 ERA in 2004, 4.41 ERA in 2005, terrible from June - August last year, and a 5.53 ERA thus far this year. Wake up!! This isn't a trend, this is a history.

Bring up phenom Ian Kennedy!!!!!!!!!!! No matter what, one thing is painfully obvious -- Mike Mussina cannot make another start for the NY Yankees this year. There are only 31 games remaining...in order to make the playoffs (Wild Card), the Yankees need to win at least 21 of them. Mussina is a guaranteed loss everytime he toes the rubber (3 K's in his last 3 games pitched...combined). He no longer has a fastball. He destroys the bullpen. DO THE MATH!!!

Anyway, back to my original premise. New York bars should be taking note of what bars in Seattle have started to capitalize on. If one of your own continues to fail (one that has signed a contract that cannot be moved -- a la Sexson/Mussina/JD Drew), then the city should at least be able to have fun with it. For this reason, I suggest NYC bars start serving mixed drinks which zone in on Mussina's "Lester-like" performance. $5.53 for a mixed drink in NYC?? The Win Column guarantees a packed house.

To top it off, let's recall Mussina's recent comments:

Asked if he carried any deeper concerns, Mussina said..."That they're going to take me out of the rotation? Who were they going to replace me with?"

Die!

3 comments:

Norman P. Orlando said...

Ha! Lester IS better than Mussina

Anonymous said...

8 games back. are you hitting the panic button?

Anonymous said...

Hey Chief cock smoker...
About time you addressed Mussina. Though you're wrong to say he has sucked(at pitching anyway) since 2003. Some quick Mussina stats from 2006: E.R.A. 3.51, 4th in AL, WHIP 1.11, 3rd in AL, Walks allowed per/9 1.6, 3rd in AL, K to walk ratio 4.91/1, 3rd in AL and K's per/9 7.84 9th in AL.

Compare any of those stats to this season and I would call it a definite "rapid downward spiral".

Now wipe that man juice off your face and go get me my heroin and hypodermic needle bizz-otch!